Gerard Michael Wynn

Army of the United States
29 August 1933 - 14 November 1967
North Arlington, New Jersey
Panel 29E Line 098

Combat Infantry

Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Army Commendation, National Defense, Vietnam Campaign, Vietnam Service

Army Parachutist
Gerald M. Wynn

The database page for Gerard Michael Wynn

18 Apr 2001

The complete memorial to Jerry Wynn is located

At Queen of Peace High School, Jerry gave 110% in everything he was involved in. Through his high school years his classmates enjoyed his jovial laugh and smile. He really came out of his quiet self in his junior year wanting to obtain all the knowledge he could, his studies and class ranking showed his great desire to learn. He always kept the nuns in high regard, but he also challenged them with his antics. Not the class clown but you always knew when Jerry was around, never knowing what he would do next. But it was always done with that childlike smile and laugh. Jerry Wynn was an outstanding high school athlete, an ability that attracted the eye of Vince Lombardi, then on the coaching staff at the U.S. Military Academy.

After graduation from West Point, Jerry elected to serve as an infantry officer. He qualified for Airborne and Ranger badges at Fort Benning, served as a mechanized platoon commander in Germany, spent two years with the 7th Special Forces Group (with 7 months of that time in Vietnam as an advisor), and did an unaccompanied tour in Korea as a mech company commander.

In September 1967, Jerry, now a Major, was back in Vietnam. After a short break-in period as Brigade S-1, he reported in to the 1st Battalion, 35th Infantry of the 4th Infantry Division, and took over as the Battalion Operations Officer (S3). The unit was engaged in a series of search and destroy missions near Highway 1 around Chu Lai. On November 4, the battalion was placed under the operational control of the 3rd Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division and moved northward to LZ Baldy near Hoi An, Quang Nam Province, 1st Corps Tactical Zone. Contact with elements of the 2nd NVA Division was constant and sharp. On November 14, the battalion command group (CO, S-3, and LNO's) made an early morning liftoff in the C&C helicopter to check in with A Company, located about 15 kilometers SW of Baldy. After heavy contact the day before, things were pretty quiet on the ground but when the command chopper showed up a 12.7mm machine gun took it under intense fire and brought it down. A Company troopers rushed to the scene but there were no survivors.

The C&C helicopter was from C Company, 227th AHB, 1st Cav Division (UH-1D, hull number 66-01006). The following men died in the crash:

  • LTC Robert Kimmel, 1/35th Inf
  • MAJ Jerry Wynn, 1/35th Inf
  • CPT Michael A. Casp, 2/9th Arty, artillery liaison
  • 1LT Randy Shaffer, 1/35th Inf
  • WO1 Frank A Murrietta, C/227 AHB, pilot
  • WO Stephen H. Thornton, copilot
  • SP5 Paul E Johnson, C/227 AHB, crew chief and gunner
  • PFC Russell F McLaughlin, C/227 AHB, gunner

From a high school classmate and friend,
Ed Jarvis

Jerry Wynn received the Silver Star for his actions on 13/14 Nov 1967.


1. TC 320. The following AWARD is announced posthumously.

WYNN, GERARD M. 073940 MAJOR INFANTRY United States Army
HHC, 1st Bn, 35th Inf, 4th Inf Div, APO 96355

Awarded: Silver Star
Date action: 13 and 14 November 1967
Theater: Republic of Vietnam
Reason: For gallantry in action while engaged in military operations against an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam. On 13 and 14 November 1967 Major Wynn distinguished himself while serving as Operations Staff Officer of the 1st Battalion, 35th Infantry, operating near Xuan Que. Companies A and B were heavily engaged with a large force of determined North Vietnamese Regulars. Major Wynn and the Battalion Commander flew to the area in the Command and Control helicopter. To better direct the companies' efforts, they elected to fly extremely low to overcome the poor visibility in spite of increasing the danger of being hit by enemy fire. While deploying the companies to maintain contact with the North Vietnamese, they flew directly over the enemy forces and were hit. The helicopter was downed but Major Wynn was airborne within an hours and again aiding the ground forces. The next morning, Major Wynn and the Battalion Commander continued their mission and again elected to direct operations from an extremely low altitude. Once more their helicopter received heavy automatic weapons fire. The helicopter went out of control and crashed. Major Wynn was mortally wounded in the crash. His personal courage and devotion to his men and to his duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.
Authority: By direction of the President under the provisions of the Act of Congress, approved 9 July 1918.

17 Jan 2003

During grammar school years and a year in high school we were good friends. My family relocated to the New Jersey Shore in 1948, so we would meet only in the summer. He and his parents and relatives used to vacation in Atlantic Highlands. He would call and set up a date to go fishing. I wouldn't catch much, but his folks always had a nice dinner at at the end of the day.

After high school we lost contact for a while. One day he called from Ft. Monmouth and my folks had him and a few classmates over for dinner. We lived only a mile away. Each time he came to the Fort we would hear from him. After his graduation we lost touch, but I felt he would show up again. It wasn't until a few years ago I found out why, sadly, he never returned to the area.

His name is on the Vietnam memorial on the Garden State Parkway for anyone out there to view and say a prayer for an old friend.

Jim McNally, Little Silver, N.J.

25 Aug 2003

Major Wynn was my company "Tac Officer" when I was a Cadet Company Commander at Gordon Military College in Barnesville, GA during the 1966 school year. A teriffic mentor, he always had direction and knowledge for those who needed or asked for it.

Upon his assignment to VietNam, I felt my association with him was over. I entered Active Duty in January 1968 and went to VietNam in October.

Upon my assignment to the 1/35th, one of my first duties was to prepare the ORLL (Operational Report Lessons Learned) for the previous year. I read about Major Wynn's untimely death from the operational journals. Although I had heard about him, the kindred spirit didn't occur until I realized that I was walking in his late shoes. An awesome responsibility and sadness gripped me.

I completed my tour in October 1969 and returned to my civilian life. I had a void in my soul and I returned to Active Duty in 1982. I finished up a successful career as a LTC with a Legion of Merit and some "war stories" for my children and grandchildren.

This story is not uncommon, but the influence that Gerry Wynn had on me is. I think of him often and thank him for the "attaboys" that I deserved and the "boots" that I needed. When I make my "big PCS", I hope to see him again and tell him in person.

LTC Mike Howard, USAR, RVN '68-'69

27 Nov 2005

Gerry prepared for the United States Military Academy at Blair Academy where he played on an undefeated and untied football team in the fall of 1951. He was well liked and well respected.

He thereafter was matriculated at West Point. He was a credit to his country.

From a classmate at Blair Academy, Class of 1952.
E-mail address is not available.

Remembered by his fellow soldiers of the

35th Infantry - the Cacti Regiment

Top of Page

Virtual Wall icon

Back to
To alpha index W
NJ State Index . Panel 29E
35TH INF RGT Index

Contact Us

With all respect
Jim Schueckler, former CW2, US Army
Ken Davis, Commander, United States Navy (Ret)
Last updated 08/10/2009